For about 11 years of my life, I spent many days with someone I referred to as, “my best friend”. I honestly had no idea that a friend could actually turn in to my worst enemy. This same friend, however, has also become my most important, life lesson. For me, betraying a friend doesn’t exist in my vocabulary. I could never imagine cheating, lying or ever becoming a mistress to anyone, never mind, becoming a mistress to my best friend’s husband. Yes, true story. Best friend turned, mistress. Unfortunately, I guess you can say that I was naive in a way. I’ve since learned that best friend betrayal is a true story. It’s my story and many other’s story, as well.
Shania Twain also faced best friend betrayal. In fact, in Twain’s book, From This Moment On, she wrote, “‘I was disgusted that another woman’s lust for a lifestyle upgrade was worth the devastation of my family.” Now, I definitely do not have the celebrity status or elite lifestyle that Shania Twain has. That part doesn’t matter. When it comes to being a woman who has faced betrayal, it doesn’t matter if you’re rich, famous, or a stay-at-home mom. Betrayal is universal and hurts the same.
I won’t go in to any details about this former best friend, turned mistress. You can read more, here. I will however, share some warning signs and red flags that I should have paid closer attention to. Instead, I trusted and believed in the power of friendship. Again, I was naive that friendship and betrayal could go, hand-in-hand. Ladies, I can’t stress this enough – know your circle.
Warning Signs Of A Toxic Friendship and Possible Best Friend Betrayal:
- They are unhappy in their marriage and would rather talk to you about it, then try to fix it.
- They idolize your marriage, kids and lifestyle.
- They lose friendships easily and get jealous when you have other close friends.
- Their appearance change more to look like yours. (Friends of mine saw this and never said anything)
- They laugh, joke and flirt with your husband.
- They offer to “help” your husband with the kids when you are away.
- You witness them lying and cheating on their husband.
- They start losing a lot of weight and changing their behavior for the worse (drinking, partying, going out more)
- They start inviting you to go out as couples more.
- They distance themselves from you, but not your husband.
- Watch closely for sudden, drastic changes. That’s the biggest red flag of all.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.