After being married for almost 15 years and having my marriage come to a very surprising and emotional end due to my husband’s infidelity with my “best friend” of 11 years, I have definitely spent many hours digging deep within my soul.
At the time it happened, I honestly thought my heart was broken forever. When two people you love the most, betray you in the most awful way possible, it leaves open wounds, unanswered questions and heartache like no other. Now that it’s been almost 2 1/2 years since the affair and my marriage ended, I can honestly sit here and say from experience, that time does heal. The scars will always be there, but the wounds have thankfully closed.
With the gift of time, came not only strength, but real life lessons that I plan on instilling within my children. My ex-husband gave me 4 amazing gifts, my children. And, with the many tears they saw along the way and the changes they went through during this, “bump in the road”, I will make sure that this experience strengthens them, as well. I’m a huge believer in talking openly to your children and teaching them about life, values and integrity. As we know, there are no guarantees in life. So, with that said, I want my children to learn that with every obstacle that comes before them, there is always something good just around the corner if you just keep moving forward.
We meet people every day in this crazy world. Relationships are formed, grown and often times … broken. Each relationship brings many smiles, laughs and tears. It’s up to us to decide what we deserve, who we will welcome in to our hearts and who we need to let go of.
Here are my 14 relationship tips that I hope my children will take note of in both their hearts and heads.
1. Be with someone who shares your smiles and wipes your tears.
2. A solid friendship is truly the most important “must-have” in a relationship.
3. Learn each other’s love languages and communicate them regularly.
4. Respect each other’s space.
5. Listen to your gut. Listen to your heart. Listen to your head. All 3 are equally important.
6. When in doubt go with your gut.
7. 2nd chances can be worth it. 3rd, 4th and 5th chances should not even cross your mind.
8. When choosing between personality and looks, choose personality. If you’re lucky, you’ll get both.
9. Talk often, laugh often, play often.
10. Stay honest. Lies discovered, lead to a lifetime of doubt.
11. Keep the big picture in view to avoid temptation.
12. Embrace each other’s small faults. No one is perfect.
13. “To good to be true” is a very true statement. Refer to #12.
14. Never settle for less than you deserve.